Re: Old, solved bugs in the BTS

Martin Bialasinski <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> writes:
> But I checked the BTS and there are several bugs, which have been solved
> by uploads or are otherwise obsolete. There are identical reports which
> could be merged. I could also fix some  minor things (docu, menu and such)
> easily by NMU (there are even patches).

Note that NM's are not supposed to *close* bug reports.  I find that
retitling them "[closed in NMU] <orignal subject>" is a good
comprimise and clearly shows the bug has been addressed until the
maintainer fixes it.

> Now, I don't want to mess with other developers bugreports, so how should I
> handle this?
>
> A 560k list of bugreports doesn't look that good.

Well, it's not that bad, considering how much software it is.  I
figure about 5% are closed in NMUs and about 10% are mergable and
about 10% are just obsolete and should be closed.

> I think I will make a list of things that can be fixed/changed easily
> first. Then I will mail the maintainers with my suggestions and offer to
> fix the bugs in a NMU.

Yes.  Sometimes it's obvious that two bugs should be merged; I find
it's okay to just go ahead and do that.  Sometimes a bug should be
closed, but if you're not the maintainer or the original uploader, you
aren't supposed to close it (no, this isn't documented officially
anywhere, *sigh*).  Sometimes I send an email to the BTS and to the
original submitter asking the submitter to close the bug, and giving
detailed instructions how.