autoup.sh for the Official CD

Hi,
     I have been out of town for almost two weeks, and have just caught
up on my mail.  This may be too late for the Offical CD.  If so, we'll
just have to forget about it.

     I assume the Offical CD will include autoup.sh.  I believe that a
simplified version of the existing autoup.sh should be prepared for
the CD, with a corresponding version of autoup.sh-README to accompany
it.  The present version of autoup is interactive, and asks the user
to select from several methods of getting the necessary files, and to
enter the directory where they will be found.  Since a script on the
CD would already know where the hamm files are located, all this is
unnecessary, and potentially confusing.

     I prepared the autoup.sh-README that is on Craigs's ftp site, and
have started work on a draft of a simplified version of the README.  I
can finish this up quickly and send it to you tomorrow if you would
like to include it.  I can also prepare a simplified autoup.sh
corresponding to the README.  This will take about a day longer than
the README, since I must set up a file system to simulate the CD and
test the script.

     I suggest that autoup.sh and the README be included in an UPGRADE
sub-directory in the top level directory of the CD, and that a recent
libc5 version of dpkg (such as 1.4.0.8) (needed for upgrading from
buzz) be placed in this directory.  If the apt method is going to be
provided as an alternate upgrade path, the latest bo version of apt
(apt_0.0.17-1bo0_i386 or later) should be in the same directory.  If
that is the case, instructions for apt-get dist-upgrade should also be
included.

     Let me know ASAP if you want me to complete the README and
abbreviated script.

Bob
--
   _