Re: [rms@santafe.edu: Hurd packager]

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 11:16:51AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> wrote:
> > It doesn't look like it would be too hard to get dpkg going on it.
> > Most of the other GNU tools are already there.
>
> To get dpkg going, you need perl5.004, gettext, autoconf and automake.
> [you'd need more if you were going to get dselect and the documentation
> to build, but you don't need that right away.]

I already had dpkg going, it wasn't too hard. A simple change to the source
I don't remember, and the new dpkg in Klee's home directory compiles with
all tools. I didn't bootstrap dpkg, though (status file etc). dselect came
up.

> Once you have dpkg built, and its executables installed, it's pretty
> simple to pull down the base packages (everything on ftp.debian.org
> or one of its mirrors for pub/debian/dists/hamm/main/source/base/).
> The easy part is:

> for x in *dsc; do dpkg-source -x $x; done
> for d in */; do (cd $d; chmod +x debian/rules; nohup debian/rules build) done
>
> [then you fix any problems that prevented you from building everything.]

No, it is not so easy. The hurd is still in early development. The console
is not perfect, there are many problems. For example, random non-deletable
files get created, and you have to use debugfs to fix this (for example, rm
-fR ona directory may fail because of those files).

Marcus