Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

 Steve> On 27 Jun 1998 18:38:55 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 Steve>     Item #4 of the Debian social contract:

 Steve> We will be guided by the needs of our users and the
 Steve> free-software community.  We will place their interests first
 Steve> in our priorities. We will support the needs of our users for
 Steve> operation in many different kinds of computing environment. We
 Steve> won't object to commercial software that is intended to run on
 Steve> Debian systems, and we'll allow others to create value-added
 Steve> distributions containing both Debian and commercial software,
 Steve> without any fee from us. To support these goals, we will
 Steve> provide an integrated system of high-quality, 100% free
 Steve> software, with no legal restrictions that would prevent these
 Steve> kinds of use.

	Can you read further?

 5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs that
     don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
     "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP archive for this software.
     The software in these directories is not part of the Debian system,
     although it has been configured for use with Debian. We encourage CD
     manufacturers to read the licenses of software packages in these
     directories and determine if they can distribute that software on their
     CDs. Thus, although non-free software isn't a part of Debian, we
     support its use, and we provide infrastructure (such as our
     bug-tracking system and mailing lists) for non-free software packages.

 Steve>     "We will support the needs of our users for operation in
 Steve> many different kinds of computing environment."  That does not
 Steve> sound reluctant and to me, a commercial environment which is
 Steve> using commercial software is a kind of computing environment.

	Reading and quoting the contract partially is your error.
 "We have created "contrib" and "non-free" areas ... The software in
 these directories is not part of the Debian system although it has
 been configured for use with Debian

	Sounds pretty reluctant to me.

	Quoting out of conte4xt, and quoting incompletely, seems to be
 an misguided attempt to be decieving. Why are you doing this?

 Steve>     To what end?

	Pardon?

 Steve>     "We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
 Steve> community. We will place their interests first in our priorities."

	The software in these directories is not part of the Debian
 system.

 >> I for one think I am more inclined to agree with RMS when he
 >> talks about the isidious evil of proprietary software that
 >> divides the community against itself.

 Steve>     Religious zealotry at its finest, it is also a misguided
 Steve> ideal founded on a faulty premise and one that should not be
 Steve> taken too seriously or strived for completely without the
 Steve> understanding that there is a place for support proprietary
 Steve> software, for people who want and use proprietary software,
 Steve> and the fact that open and proprietary software can coexist on
 Steve> *ANY* platform.

	That is your view point. You are welcome to it. The Debian
 philosophy is in the Social contract. Calling us names does not
 change it.

 >> The peole who work on Debian voted on the DFSG. With that
 >> vote, we effectively said we believed in the philosophy the DFSG
 >> espouses. I hope you do not have a problem with that.

 Steve>     I don't.  Please read item 4 again quite carfully.

	Plesae read item 5. You have apparently not done so.

 Steve> I had to tackle someone else who had a radical view of what
 Steve> the DFSG was and was not.  To me the DFSG is the ideal
 Steve> philosophy.  To me it states that well will produce open
 Steve> software *BUT* we acknolwdge that there is not only a right
 Steve> but a need for prorpietary and we support the *USERS* decision
 Steve> over our own ideals.  I am not stuck on the definition of what
 Steve> is and is not free.

	And we refuse to make non-free software and software that
 depends on it part of the Debian system. This is not merely "ideal
 philosophy".  It is philosophy the project lives by.

 >> Then work on troll tech to release qt under a dfsg compliant
 >> licence. Or work on the KDE folks to use something else besides QT.

 Steve>     Why?  It works for them, end of story.  I also agree with
 Steve> you here, begrudgingly.  It doesn't meet the standards set by
 Steve> the DFSG, it is not open, it is contrib or non-free.

	The DFSG works for us. End of story.

 >> BTW, I quite agree with you when you say it is a shame. KDE
 >> should never have used a non-free library. It is not too late for
 >> them to change now (though I would not be rude enough to say this
 >> on the KDE list; snce the decision is indeed theirs).

 Steve>     I don't think it is a shame.  What is a shame is people
 Steve> taken any "open" or "free" movement to such extremes.  Let me
 Steve> explain it in simple terms.

	I stand by the DFSG. No apologies; and with no regrets.

 Steve>     But I don't think that anyone should *EVER* dictate what
 Steve> other people shoudl and should not use based solely on whether
 Steve> or not it is open or proprietary.

	We don't. KDE is available on our ftp site. We do not promote
 it; and it shall never be a part of the Debian system. You can't
 force us to use it either. We have taken a stance; our stance is in
 the DFSG. Why are you trying to force your views on us? What right do
 you think you have?

 Steve>    There is *NO* shame in that or using it.

	Your opinion. I need not share it.

	manoj
--
 Secret sources are more credible.  -- Ron Nessen