Re: GTK+-based AWT (was Re: On java programs & main/contrib)

> > > Note that microsoft's IE does not use the classes from sun, they
> > > wrote their own version. And programs compiled against sun's run
> > > in microsoft's, and even vice-versa.
> >
> > Well, the truth is that it is not so. If someone tried to write something a
> > little bit more elaborate than "Scribble Applet" in Java, s/he would know that
> > the difference in the way program run on different platforms is drastic.
> > You have to spend some considerable effort to make your JAVA code "portable"
> > even to defferent _JDK_ implementations, not to mention alternative virtual
> > machine and, more important, classes implementations.
>
> I hope this is not true. If it is, what good is Java after all?
> Nah. ICQJava runs everywhere, and it's very far from simple.

Sure, and this menas that some effort was spent to make it portable.
Lalo, I am talking from my own experience.
Even a student taking java course and writing a couple of projects would be
amazed if one tried to run his code on a different OS.

Java is good because after spending some time to port, it runs everywhere
without recompiling. Also, introducing toolkit-independent AWT in 1.2 has a
reason - to make things more portable.

Alex Y.
--
   _