Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 08:58:24PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Item #4 of the Debian social contract:

>     "We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
> community. We will place their interests first in our priorities."

>     But I don't think that anyone should *EVER* dictate what other people
> shoudl and should not use based solely on whether or not it is open or
> proprietary.  I don't think people should place a negative stigma on
> proprietery software.  It is not a shame that Trolltech released QT the way
> it did.  They chose to eat.  However, they did come up with a creative
> licensing scheme which allows people to develop for their product in the
> spirit of the GPL and they have protected that license arrangement in case of
> their company being bought out or disbanding.
>
>    There is *NO* shame in that or using it.

*WE* build the Debian distribution. *WE* think that we can serve the needs
of our users *BEST* when we have control over the source code and the right
to distribute patched source code and modified binaries.

I certainly can't speak for all developers, but I feel confident that I have
much support in the both sentences above.

What if a binary-only program has a big trojan horse in it? How can we
control the security and consistency and quality with proprietary software?

We can't.

Marcus