Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

> >  community of people committed to freedom of software.
>
> If you have the same beliefs as the GPL founder (who seams not to
> believe in the Open Source movement) than I have nothing more to say to
> you.  However I hope that is not the case because Linus Torvalds does
> believe in the Open Source Movement.

Linus Torvalds uses RedHat.

Frankly, I prefer the GPL founder.

> With the new Open Source movement I think it is time to reexamine your
> true mission.  If you want to create a pure GNU system than continue
> what you are doing.  However if you want to have an active role in the
> Open Source movement--that Linus supports--than I see the debain
> philosophy as a major roadblock if kept unchanged.  Chances are more
> major linux programs will use free (but not free to debian standards) to
> accularate development.

The debian philosophy is what makes debian great. Just because someone
comes along and says 'Gee, I don't like the term 'free software', let's
call it 'open source' and say that it's something new' doesn't mean that
those who have been fighting for freedom since the beginning have to just
follow along like lambs after a straying ewe or bail out altogether.. By
no means. No, the Debian philosophy is a good philosophy.

> What it really boils down to is what movement Debian wishes to support.
>
> 1) The Free Software Foundation and GNU in which making debian into a
> totally free and always free OS is the most important goal
>
> or
>
> 2) The Open Source Movement is which promoting linux and the open source
> concept is formost.  This may mean bending the rules a little here and
> there and perhaps modifying some of the fundamental principles a bit to
> better promote debian.

`To better promote debian', or to try to change the world with the power
of free software. The choice is yours. I vastly prefer to see free
software prosper. If all the major distributions died tomorrow, where
would the open source movement be? By the way you word it, defunct, dead,
desolate.

Freedom is truly the only choice. One who surrenders a bit of freedom for
a bit of security soon finds themself with none of either.

> So which one does Debian which to support FSF or Open Source?  I really
> hope it is Open Source...
>
> If it is clear that debian wishes to stick to the FSF and GNU principles
> than I might just create my own distribution.  However I rather not as I
> think that would be really counter productive.

There is nothing stopping one from doing whatever one wants, including
creating one's own distribution... by the FSF standards. The open source
standards are a bit less open. By your own standards, strictly
interpreted, your distribution that you set out to create might be brought
down before it started with legal, political and technical issues.

-Kysh

Standard Disclaimers Apply, Your Mileage May Vary, flames/disagreements
should go to devnull@dragonfyre.soark.net, all trademarks are copyright
(C) their respective owners. This email placed under the GPL, and is in
conformance with the DFSG. This is a derivative work.