Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

On Jun 27, Manoj Srivastava decided to present us with:
> Hi,
> >>"Lalo" == Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:
[...]
>  Lalo> epochs:
>
>  Lalo> as already discussed, the use of epochs alone (of course they
>  Lalo> could be combined with something else) would "never stop",
>  Lalo> increasing on each pre/upstream pair.
>
> 	I am tempted to say, so what?

I have to agree to Manoj here - as I had before many time.
"Ugliness" is not a technical argument. However, I'm proposing
"pre-epochs" as a superior tool for the future.

[...]
>  Lalo> .99:
>
>  Lalo> this works, of course. Except if there already _is_ 2.0.7.99 -
>  Lalo> what if, after 89723234 releases of gimp 0.99, they decided to
>  Lalo> release a "gimp 1.0pre1"?
>
> 	Huh? Why cant you tack another .99 to it? like gimp
>  0.99.0.99.99.99.99.99.99.99.99.1 ? This method continues to work
>  irrespective of what the upstream version is.

Hmm right. How dumb of me.

>  Lalo> "pre-epochs":
>
> 	Require changes to dpkg, and hence not likely to happen in a
>  hurry. Where the pre epochs go is irrelevant; The critical idea
>  presented begore was a special numeric tag added to a version that
>  makes the version sort *LOWER* in dpkg's algorithm. Unlike epochs,
>  which make the version sort *HIGHER*.

True, but I'm proposing them _for the future_, not for use in
this libc6 problem - which is already solved BTW. Whole point.
;-)

> 	Placement of pre-epoch is an irrelevant implementation detail.

Actually, no. If they're in the right side of the upstream
version, dpkg can keep the current left-to-right algo. However,
the most important reason for putting them to the right is
clarity; different from epochs, pre-epochs _should_ be shown in
dselect, and having them in the right makes the user see them
for what they are.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
   Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night...
                 pgp key in the web page

Free Software Union       --       http://www.fslu.org