Re: Hamm Bug Stamp-Out List for June 25, 1998

On 26 Jun 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	How about this:
>   In general, symbolic links within a toplevel directory should be
>   relative, and symbolic links pointing from inside one toplevel
>   directory into another should be absolute. (A toplevel directory is
>   a sub-directory of the root directory `/'.) In other words, relative
>   symbolic links should never traverse the root  directory `/'.
>
> 	Does this clarify the intent of the policy team better?

Some, but talking about a term (top level directory) before you define it
requires at least one re-read. How about something like this:
Every file in the system resides in one of the several "top level"
directories, which are subdirectories of the root directory '/'. Each of
these top level directories are a potential mount point, so links from a
file in one top level directory that point into another top level
directory should be absolute references, while links between locations
within a particular top level directory should be relative references.

I'm not sure my "rewording" of what you wrote is any clearer, it just puts
the definition first. You get my point though...

>  Dale> The links are from /usr/lib, which is a subdirectory of a top level
>  Dale> directory. Yes, it points to a top level directory, but that only satifies
>  Dale> one half of the above criterion.
>
>  Dale> I guess I'm just stupid ;-) but I don't understand what the example is
>  Dale> trying to tell me.
>
>  % ln -s /usr/local/src/../lib/../share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus/../bbdb junk
>
> 	This is deprecated. You should use, instead,
>  % ln -s /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb junk

OK <confused look persists> I'm not sure how you might come up with such a
convoluted route to a file, but I think I see the point. Maybe it is just
too obvious...

Thanks,

Dwarf