Re: My BitFontEdit as a Debian Package

David Lawyer <bf347@lafn.org> wrote:
> I'm the author of the BitFontEdit "package" which I wrote 10 years ago.
> Only the original version with no name (directory is TermFonts) is still
> on the net in a few obscure locations.  I want to get the improved
> version back on the net (my free website closed) and thought that one way
> to do this is to make it into a Debian package.

Sounds like a good idea.

We're not yet to the point where it's completely trivial to throw
together a debian package. There's a lot of possiblities which need to
be allowed for. And, of course, we want everything to work together
reasonably well. Skim when encounter stuff that's not applicable to you
(shared libraries, emacs configuration, ...).

In theory, you should be able to run through all of this in a few hours
(especially for a simple package like what you're talking about).

Anyways, here's some meta-instructions:

[Joining debian]
see the debian developer's reference:
	http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/

[Designing the package]
see the debian policy manual
	http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

[Implementing the package]
this documentation needs to be pieced together better, but there's
more than one way to approach this:
	debian packaging manual
		http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging.html
	New-Maintainer's mini-howto, deb-make
		http://va.debian.org/~jaldhar/index.html
		http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/deb-make

[Testing the package]
You should have lintian check over your package(s),
	http://www.debian.org/lintian
Once things seem clean enough, you should also install the
package on a debian system and make sure it looks and acts right.

[Uploading the package]
see above: the bit about joining debian.

> BitFontEdit allows one to create fonts from scratch for dumb terminals.
> It is really just some filters.  One creates a text file (in the format I
> specify) using any editor and "draws" the characters they want using the *
> character for each pixel.  Then you run this file thru my filter and get
> the soft-font which may be downloaded to a terminal.  It supports both the
> Wyse and VT (Dec) type of softfont.  I started to modify it so it would
> also do X-Windows font, but I think that there is already such a program.

I think it would be nice to support X-windows fonts (bdf, preferably, I
think). It would also be nice to write out console fonts. But that's up
to you.

--
Raul