Possible bug in Apache 1.3.0...

[Also sent to debian-devel, since I'm interested to hear about other
people having noticed this problem]

I run a medium sized webserver (~80.000 hits/day) with apache/1.3.0,
however it occasionnaly stops answering http queries and forks > 120 http
daemons, while I've set the max. forking limit to 20.
When this happens, the only way to get apache to serve http requests again
is too reload it.
After much hair pulling and logfile browsing, it appears that the problem
always shown up while someone was browsing pages with either
"Net_Vampire/2.4" or "Net_Vampire/2.41".

This morning, apache stopped answering queries again, and even after
retarting it, requests would stall after 3 minutes; I saw in the
access_log that s/o was currently using Net_Vampire on my site. Apache
started to work fine again only after I used a firewall rule to deny any
tcp access from the IP address of this Net Vampire user.

Is it a known bug? Is there a better work-around than mine?
Feedback/Ideas welcomed...

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -