Re: 2.0-beta CD Image mirror sites ?

> --0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE
>
> Previously Brederlow wrote:
> > In what formats are those images provided?
> > It would be nice to download the image in parts including md5sums and
> > to have some additional error correction chunks like ras provides.
>
> You're just describing how rsync works. rsync retrieves the file in
> parts and compares checksums. And later you can update with rsync:
> it just compares checksums of parts and replaces only changed blocks.

The problem with rsync at the moment is that if the transfer is interrupted,
it throws away the partial image --- Andrew Tridgell said he'd fix this though.

In the mean time I'd either use wget (which can continue interrupted
transfers), and use HTTP, or do this:

  rsync the file,
  once it starts arriving, link the incoming file to a second name:

   ln .binary-i386.raw.a123456  binary-i386-saved-copy

  if you get a partial reception, mv the saved file to the proper name:

   mv binary-i386-saved-copy binary-i386.raw

  and re-do the rsync (and the saved-copy link)

You'll need more disk space this way, because rsync keeps the old file untill
all the new one arrives.

If you use wget, and find that the md5sum that results is wrong, you should be
able to fix any trasmission errors with rsync in short order, because it will
only send the difference beween your broken copy and the real one.

This is mostly covered here:

  http://www.uk.debian.org/debian-cd/

Cheers, Phil.