Intention to do a(nother) NMU of dpkg

[ Cross-posted to devel and dpkg, followups set to dpkg, please obey
  the reply-to ]
Hi,

After working on dpkg last night for the manic hamm beta episode, I
noticed there was lots of other stuff that even I could fix; so I
have.  If no one objects I plan to upload this NMU for slink RSN.

Barring disasters from this NMU, premature release of my exam results
or any objections, I'll try and do some more NMUs which fix things
like the build issues, UTMP warnings, $LANG issues and
debian-changelog-mode issues.

For now, they're available from either

<URL:ftp://debian.nocrew.org/pub/debian-i386/>

or ~troup/dpkg/ on master (for those that side of the pond).  I've
tested it as much as I can, and roped a couple more on IRC into
testing it, all without problems.  The changes are all minor, so I
think it should be safe.

dpkg (1.4.0.24) unstable; urgency=low

  * Non-maintainer upload.

  * dpkg/main.c: Turn --force-overwrite off as default.
  * dpkg/main.c: don't list --force-overwrite as default in --force-help,
    noticed by Peter Weiss <Peter.Weiss@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE> and
    others. [#23542, part of #17409].
  * dpkg/dpkg.8: replaced with a newer version from Jim Van Zandt
    <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com>. [#21061]

  * dpkg-deb/build.c (do_build): add missing \n and improve error message
    when conffile name is too long. [#7057]

  * scripts/update-alternatives.8: replaced with better man page from
    Charles Briscoe-Smith <cpb4@ukc.ac.uk>. [#17283]
  * scripts/dpkg-source.1: corrected logic error in documentation for
    dpkg-gencontrol's -p option, as noticed by Oliver Elphick
    <olly@linda.lfix.co.uk>. [#14655]
  * scripts/controllib.pl (findarch): correct typo in error message,
    noticed by Yann Dirson <ydirson@a2points.com>. [#22106]
  * scripts/dpkg-buildpackage.sh: fix typo s/source version/source
    maintainer/, noticed by Joey Hess <joey@kite.ml.org>, Adam P. Harris
    <apharris@onshore.com> and others. [#10175, #15559]
  * scripts/dpkg-genchanges.pl: applied patch from Roman Hodek
    <Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> which solves problems with
    architecture specific packages in mostly architecture independent
    multi-binary source packages. [#14341, #20192].

  * doc/Makefile.am: remove any reference to the packaging manual, as it is
    now provided by the separate "packaging-manual" package.
  * doc/packaging.sgml: removed.
  * doc/developer-keys.pgp: updated to the current debian keyring.

  * aclocal.m4: applied patch from Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org> to handle
    egcs' --print-libgcc-file-name output. [#20353]

  * debian/copyright: correct FSF address.
  * debian/rules: add code from lesstif's debian/rules to make libtool
    less of a fool (i.e. not use -rpath and to link shared libraries
    against libraries it depends on).  Code by Richard Braakman
    <dark@xs4all.nl> and Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org>.
  * debian/rules: remove all reference to the packaging manual as it is
    now provided by the seperate "packaging-manual" package. [#21581,
    #21186, #22698, #23342]
  * debian/rules: link dpkg-divert.1.gz to undocumented.7.gz as the lack
    of a real manpage has been reported in #11093.
  * debian/README.compile: removed gawk and bogus comment about gettext
    being in experimental, as reported by Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es>
    [#23344].  Added libpaperg (debiandoc2ps needs paperconf).
  * debian/shlibs.default.i386: updated for glibc, reported by Herbert Xu
    <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>. [#13140]
  * debian/control (dpkg-dev): depend on perl as POSIX (not a part of
    perl-base) is needed by most of the perl dpkg-* scripts, noticed by
    Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org>. [#22115]

 -- James Troup <jjtroup@comp.brad.ac.uk>  Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:38:52 +0200

--
James