Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Philip Hands writes:
 > ydirson@mygale.org said:
 > > Dale Scheetz writes:
 > >  > In the mean time, unless anyone can object within the next several
 > >  > hours, I will construct and upload a new release of glibc with the
 > >  > version number: 2.0.7r-1
 >
 > > I would advise for 2.0.7final instead.  IMHO 2.0.7r looks much like an
 > > additional patch-level.
 >
 > Um.  f comes before p in the alphabet, whereas r comes after p.
 >
 >   2.0.7final < 2.0.7pre < 2.0.7r

Aïe, where did I leave my head...

Craig Sanders writes:
 > On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Philip Hands wrote:
 >
 > > Yann Dirson wrote:
 > > > Craig Sanders writes:
 > > >  > how about using "2.07pre8-1", "2.07pre8-2", and so on for the
 > > >  > next set of glibc pre-releases?
 > > >
 > > > Seems like it doesn't work:
 > > >
 > > > $ dpkg --compare-versions 2.07pre8-1 '<<' 2.0.8 && echo yes || echo
 > > > no no
 > >
 > > You missed a dot out of the first one (should be 2.0.7pre8-1)
 > >
 > > I'd go and get some sleep, or a coffee, if I were you, Yann ;-)

Well, according to the clock, coffee would be the better choice ;)

But for this point, the error you spotted was not the real one ;)  It
was intended to be:

$ dpkg --compare-versions 2.07pre8-1 '<<' 2.0.7 && echo yes || echo no
no

 > actually, it was me who forgot the . before the 7.  Yann just copied my
 > mistake.

 > after looking at some of the other comments, i'd change my suggestion to

Ah, with this I understand better...

 > any of the similar suggestions would be fine too. the exact form doesn't
 > matter, as long as it a) works :) and b) the meaning of the version number
 > is fairly clear.

Well, I don't find this solution very (visually) clear either... but
yes, it's only for pre-releases.

 > whatever format is chosen, it should be put in policy so that we don't
 > have to figure it all out again in future, and also document a new
 > standard/convention.

That's the purpose of the "dpkg and alpha/beta versioning" thread in
debian-policy.  You're welcomed there.

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: