Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> Yann Dirson wrote:
> > Craig Sanders writes:
> >  > how about using "2.07pre8-1", "2.07pre8-2", and so on for the
> >  > next set of glibc pre-releases?
> >
> > Seems like it doesn't work:
> >
> > $ dpkg --compare-versions 2.07pre8-1 '<<' 2.0.8 && echo yes || echo
> > no no
>
> You missed a dot out of the first one (should be 2.0.7pre8-1)
>
> I'd go and get some sleep, or a coffee, if I were you, Yann ;-)

actually, it was me who forgot the . before the 7.  Yann just copied my
mistake.

after looking at some of the other comments, i'd change my suggestion to

	2.0.7pre8.1-1 for pre-release #1
	2.0.7pre8.2-1 for pre-release #2
	2.0.7pre8.3-1 for pre-release #3

alternatively, 2.0.7pre8#1-1 (but i don't think # is a valid character and
having to escape the # would be an annoyance on the command line and
scripts/config files which use # as the comment char.)

any of the similar suggestions would be fine too. the exact form doesn't
matter, as long as it a) works :) and b) the meaning of the version number
is fairly clear.

whatever format is chosen, it should be put in policy so that we don't
have to figure it all out again in future, and also document a new
standard/convention.

craig

--
craig sanders