Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> But I believe that most of our users will agree that 2.0.7-1 is a much
> nicer version number than 2.0.7r-1 and would not mind to install a few
> packages by hand just *once*.

I don't agree.  We have a mechanism to allow clean upgrades.  We
should use it, and we should either change policy to not discourage
this, or we should come up with an alternate (but most likely
identical) mechanism for this purpose.

Which is better for the user, a README somewhere that they have to
read (presuming they actually realize that) and upgrading by hand, or
an epoch number that they'll probably never see, and an automatic
upgrade?

Being aesthetically opposed to epochs to the degree that you're
willing to force the user to upgrade manually seems unsupportable to
me.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>