Re: kpilot -- help sought

John Goerzen wrote:

> I have sent an e-mail to the author.
>
> Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org> writes:
>
> > Looking at the diffs, I'm quite confused. kpilot ships with Makefiles,
> > config.logand config.status? I would strongly advise to remove them
> > from the orig sources, since they definitly do not belong there.
>
> Yes.  Also, the make distclean does not remove the Makefiles.  Not all
> of the Makefiles get re-built from the .in files.  .deps directories
> are generated and left lying about, and the config.* files are not
> removed by make distclean.
Well, if kpilot uses automake (it seems to, since you have .deps dirs
:),
it should remove all of them besides .deps.
Try to run automake --include-deps, this should remove the .deps from
the beginnig. This should have been done by the upstream author, but
per-
haps he have missed it (or hasn't thought about debian packages ;-)

> Further, I had to edit every single Makefile.in to find the KDE libs
> in /usr/X11R6/lib and the includes in /usr/include/kde.
I can't hardly believe this. But since I haven't seen the Makefiles my-
self, I can't say.

> > Then it would be perhaps not a very bad idea to remove *.moc and .deps
> > while making distclean (I don't know, why they are not removed)
>
> I have no idea what a .moc is.  .deps I can deduce :-)
.moc is usualy the suffix for the output of the moc preprocessor used by
qt and KDE.

> > I can't say, if kpilot's configure already support it, but my later
> > versions of KDE configure support --with-install-root, so you just
> > can call "configure --with-install-root=$PWD/debian/tmp" without
> > patching configure or something else.
>
> Yes, it appears to be there.  The question is: will it work? :-)
Well, if kpilot doesn't used hardcoded paths out of the Makefile: yes.

> Also I am having difficulty in coaxing it to link with the system's
> shared libpisock library instead of it's own, but I will leave that go
> at the moment I think.

It may be a patched version. But I can't say. If it's not, add a
LIBPISOCK variable, that is set to the static version by default
and replaced by a -lpisock in your case. And this change can go into
the upstream sources I guess. :)

Greets, Stephan

--
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.