Re: Unidentified subject!

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Gu Xiangqian wrote:

> Would you do me a favor? I want compile a Fortran program
> with g77:
>          program gg
>          integer i
>          i=99999999999
>          print*,i
>          stop
>          end
> But G77 cannot do it. Yes I wish that the default of
> integer and float has 8 bytes. Please tell me which
> switcher of g77 compiler should I use to do it? If
> g77 has not a such switcher, how can I do it?
> I use Debian Linux+g77+gcc(2.7.2.1) on a PC(p133+32M).

This question should probably go to debian-user, or, better yet, to the
mailing list on fortran comp-fortran-90 and/or the newsgroup
comp.lang.fortran.

Anyway, in order to do what you want you need:
 * g77 v0.5.20 or later (better upgrade to the egcs package)
 * to declare those integers as integer*8 (or equivalently integer(kind=2)
   I think)
 * probably avoid using integer*8 *literal constants* until there's better
   support for integer*8.

And no, I don't think there's a compiler switch for making integer*8 the
default automaticly.

Hope it helps,

Jose

Jose L. Marín                                   jose@ma.hw.ac.uk
Dept of Maths                                   marin@wanda.unizar.es
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS, U.K.
Phone: +44 131 4513230
Fax: +44 131 451 3249

Former address:  Dept. de Física de la Materia Condensada
                 Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Zaragoza
                 50009 Zaragoza, SPAIN