Re: apache_1.1.3-6 preinstall script giving errors

Douglas Bates wrote:

> I was having trouble installing apache_1.1.3-6 on a bo machine that
> had an earlier apache (1.0.x) installed.  I kept getting an error in
> the pre-installation script.  I thought it was because of the previous
> version so I removed the previous version.  Now I still can't get
> 1.1.3-6 to install and I don't have the earlier one.  Here is all I get.
>
>  arcola# dpkg -i apache_1.1.3-6.deb
>  (Reading database ... 22196 files and directories currently installed.)
>  Unpacking apache (from apache_1.1.3-6.deb) ...
>  dpkg: error processing apache_1.1.3-6.deb (--install):
>   subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>   apache_1.1.3-6.deb
>
> I would appreciate any advice.  I was trying to help my friend with
> his system and now I have left him without a functioning apache on a
> system that is supposed to be serving web pages to the world.

There are a couple of things that you might do.  The easiest
course is:

dpkg --info apache_1.1.3-6.deb  This will tell you what dependencies the
                                package requires along with version
required
                                of some packages.

Then check what versions of the required dependant packages that you
have with:

dpkg -s packagename

If you have the required packages along with the proper version numbers,
then
you might want to look at the install script in /var/lib/dpkg/info/
This will
tell you where possibly the error is hanging.  If there is a problem
with the
install script, fill out a bug report along with your fix.

Have a good day :-)
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037