Re: FIX FOR HAMM: timezone problem

  DS> We are working on a report of failure in US/central WRT Daylight
  DS> Savings Time, right?

  DS> There is one variable we haven't nailed down yet. The hardware
  DS> clock can be set either to local time or GMT (UTC). As I
  DS> remember, the failure only happens when the clock is set to one
  DS> of these two. (Memory says Local Time is the broken one)

Not quite correct. I remember this problem, as I was hit by it :)

The problem was with the SystemV CST6CDT timezone. It has an incorrect
changeover rule. At the time of the switchover, I had my timezone set
to the SystemV/CST6CDT value, and after the switchover it was still
thinking it was set to CST. ntpdate synched the clock correctly with
UTC, but the displayed time was 1 hour off, since it was displaying
CST, not CDT. Switching the timezone to US/Central caused the date to
be displayed correctly.

I just checked, and now CST6CDT correctly gives CDT, so the problem is
an incorrect transition rule in the SystemV/CCST6CDT timezone file.

The hardware clock issue is a red herring. I only read my clock at
boot time, and my machine had not been booted for several days. I do
write the time back immediately after setting the kernel clock with
ntpdate, though.

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/