Re: FIX FOR HAMM: timezone problem

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

: On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:
:
: > On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
: >
: > : Sorry to have stayed out of this but I have been busy...
: > :
: > : Bottom line...tzconfig is broken.
: >
: > That may be :)
: >
: > : If you look at the list provided under US there is an entry of
: > : Indiana-Eastern, and Arizona... as well. These should be linked to their
: > : non-DST configuration. The ones that say eastern, and central, and
: > : mountain, and pacific, should all understand daylight shaving time. (Bill,
: > : I hate daylight shavings time)
: > :
: > : The central timezone provided by tzconfig is broken, in that it clearly
: > : doesn't deal with DST correctly. I believe I have heard of this problem
: > : before. I guess it is time to look at the guts of this and figure out how
: > : to fix it.
: >
: > What exactly makes you say that the central timezone doesn't deal with
: > DST?  If you mean "US/Central" I will have to disagree with you. :) It
: > works fine here.
: >
: > kepler:~ $ cat /etc/timezone
: > US/Central
: > kepler:~ $ date
: > Tue Jun 16 13:27:25 CDT 1998
: > kepler:~ $ date --utc
: > Tue Jun 16 18:27:29 UTC 1998
: > kepler:~ $ ps awx | grep xntp
: >   279  ?  S    0:01 /usr/sbin/xntpd
: >
: > Where's the problem?  I'm confused.
: >
: Me too ;-)
:
: We are working on a report of failure in US/central WRT Daylight Savings
: Time, right?

Correct :)

: There is one variable we haven't nailed down yet. The hardware clock can
: be set either to local time or GMT (UTC). As I remember, the failure only
: happens when the clock is set to one of these two. (Memory says Local Time
: is the broken one)

Ah, I'd forgotten about that.  I believe your memory is correct.

: Your output, if I can count right (not guaranteed), indicates a 5 hour
: difference from GMT, which, I think, is correct. Which way is your
: hardware clock set?

Hardware clocks here are set to UTC - I figure they're servers, up
24/7 (no dual booting to Win95 :) so UTC is the "right" decision.  I
will try another machine at home which iirc is set to local time.

CDT is indeed UTC-5, and CST is UTC-6.

So, to recap:  I'm using "US/Central" timezone, with hardware clocks set
to UTC, and all is well here.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104