Re: Including Mysql in the Main Distrubation

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 11:03:22AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> No DBMS syncy after each transaction. Most systems do it every 30 seconds.
> Support for that will be added to Postgres later on. And with 80 TPS I think

/usr/doc/postgresql-doc/FAQ.gz
------------------------------
  2.11) How do I tune the database engine for better performance?

   There are several things that can be done. You can disable fsync() by
   starting the postmaster with a '-o -F' option. This will prevent
   fsync()'s from flushing to disk after every transaction.

   I haven't examined the code, but postgres was seeking all over the disk
with fsync() on (the default), and only getting 4 transactions/sec inserting
a row into a table (no indices or anything).  Performance rose a factor of 20
after turning fsync()s off.
   msql and mysql don't appear to have full transaction support, so I didn't
consider them "real" databases.  They would be sufficient for the task I was
performing (moving squid log entries into a database), but since postgres
could be sped up I didn't see a need to learn another DB.
   There has been a lot of criticism of Postgres' speed.  Perhaps the
fsync() warning should be made more prominent (in README.Debian, or even the
package description).