Re: Including Mysql in the Main Distrubation

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 07:55:46PM -0500, Erv Walter wrote:
> 1) Speed
> 2) While neither completely implements SQL92 and newer standards, the
> portion that mysql implements is more useful for my application than
> the portion that PostgreSQL implements.
>
> Erv Walter

   In some tests I ran, I found that postgres was only capable of 4
transactions per second in the default configuration.  The speed could be
increased to 80 transactions/sec if you were willing to turn off the
automatic disk syncing.  It is not clear from the mysql documentation
whether it syncs the disk after each transaction, so mysql may only be
comparable to the unsync'd postgres speed.  With an fsync after each
transaction, Postgres is limited by disk seek times.  You might be able to
speed it up by putting each file in the database on separate (fast) disks.

/etc/postgresql/postmaster.init
PGFSYNC=no

--
Dr. Drake Diedrich, Research Officer - Computing, (02)6279-8302
John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University 0200