Re: xntp3: init script is not very policy-compliant

On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 09:08:08AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> wrote:
> > There are a number of aspects of the existing init script that are not
> > policy-compliant.  Within this mail is a modified version that is.  (Yes, I
> > have tested it.)
>
> A question/comment, though:
>
> > TIMEHOST1=ntp2.usno.navy.mil
> > TIMEHOST2=tick.usno.navy.mil
> > TIMEHOST3=tock.usno.navy.mil
>
> Shouldn't this information be pulled out of /etc/ntp.conf?
>
> >   ntpdate -b -s -t 1 $TIMEHOST1 $TIMEHOST2 $TIMEHOST3 > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> Any reason not to use
> 	ntpdate -b -s `awk '/^[	 ]*server/{print $2}'` &
> ? (that's a tab and a space between the square brackets).
>
> [Note that I've tossed the timeout, but to prevent any potential
> boot-hang problems have backgrounded the sction.  According to
> /usr/doc/xntp/html/ntpdate.html on my system, -t 1 is the default,
> so it seems somewhat broken to explicitly set it.  Note that this
> is probably influenced by the default of getting four samples.]
>
> Also, it may be worth bailing out of the script entirely if there
> are no servers mentioned in /etc/ntp.conf

All good suggestions, so I'm CC'ing the bug to make sure the maintainer
sees them.

Also, xntp3's cron.weekly script does redirect the output of stopping its
daemon (to rotate the log files) to /dev/null, so every week you'll get
mail from cron helpfully telling you the daemon was stopped.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |
Purdue University                   |      "Bother," said Pooh, as he was