Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 03:53:59AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
>  Marcus> Problem is, you'll never be able to convince a DOS user of a
>  Marcus> text editor with different modes. Sorry, I don't think a dumb
>  Marcus> newbie should be able to install a workstation, but he should
>  Marcus> be able to install the base system and play with Gnome apps.
>
> 	Firstly, even the base system requires either a certain degree
>  of proficiency, or the will and ability to learn, in order to do
>  basic adminstration.

Yes, and then it is probably wise to make the learning curve not too steep ,
or the frustration will overrule the learning fun. I think there is a
difference between the cookie cutter approach and the simple question, if we
should ship the rescue system with an editor you can or can't use without a
manual. ae has the simple advantage, that it can be used by everyone without
a manual.

<QUOTE>
Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?
</QUOTE>

> 	You want them to play with Gnome? They can't handle vi, and
>  they can setup X and actually use apps (which again generally have to
>  be configured to do anything real -- like email and give access to
>  the web)

Yes, this is possible.

> 	Absolute novices unwilling to learn should be lead gently to
>  the nearest windows box.

Oh well, you are right. Maybe this will change in the future, when even
novices want to use the power apps of Linux (not yet, I have to admit). Then
it is probably not wise to rule them out right from the very beginning.
(I'm ignoring the "unwilling to learn" here for a moment).

>  Marcus> It is only wise to use the simplest editor that is available,
>  Marcus> not the one with the most features (well, *best* solution
>  Marcus> would be to have *both*, agreed).
>
> 	Most features? *VI*? or you mean XEmacs? Since when has vi
>  been an editor with features? ;-)

I eant editors, not coffe machines :)

Marcus