Re: Serious performance bug in Perl

Previously Chris Fearnley wrote:
> But yesterday I upgraded a bo system to hamm which has a 3000 line
> /etc/passwd.  Now adduser takes OVER ONE MINUTE to find a UID and GID
> for the new user.  And my staff is complaining about the wasted time.

Are you sure it's a problem with perl? I've had the same problem with
tar becoming dog-slow because I had `compat' in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
Changing that to `nis files' fixed the speed-problem.

You could probably use strace to check what is really causing the delay.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl