Re: Bootint big kernels

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> I have wondered why we didn't try this once the kernel supported initrd.
> To be honest I haven't figured out yet how to do the device selection,
> other than going through a list of drivers, trying to insmod each one
> until you are successful.

Wouldn't PCI and ISA PnP support help here?  Standard 2.0.x kernels support
/proc/pci since a long time, so it should be possible to check the device
names on /proc/pci against a table in order to load the apropriate modules.
It should also be possible to deal with PnP just the same way, although I
don't know what the status of the PnP support in the kernel is right now.

Regards,

M. S.