Re: Install issue

Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 06, 1998 at 12:28:24PM -0400, LeRoy D. Cressy wrote:
> > Where or what is your /dev/hdb drive?  Is your hdb drive your
> > cdrom?  If so, it should be detected.  I don't know if the
> > cdrom has been compiled as a module, if so they must be loaded from the
> > drivers
> > disk.
>
> hdb is my cdrom, but there is no disk in it.  I assume that's why it
> wasn't showing up.
>
> Dan
>
> --

Are ypu installing the system from a cdrom, or from a rescue disk?

There are several ways to install a Debian system.

1  CDROM
2  NFS
3  BASE BOOT Disks

On the CDROM there is a boot.bat located in /cdrom/boot/ or
d:\boot\boot.bat for the dos world. The contents are below.

@ echo off

rem Flush any write-cached disk blocks before we leave DOS.
smartdrv /c

loadlin.exe linux root=/dev/ram ro initrd=root.bin

Using a CDROM is the easiest method for a new user to load the Debian
Linux system.  If you desire to have the latest system, then download
the
disks directory from a Debian mirror.

The current disks are in the directorys:

drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 May 30 15:26 2.0.6_1998-05-12
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           16 May 30 15:26 current ->
2.0.6_1998-05-12

There are versions for both 1.44M drives and 1.2M drives.  Choose the
one
that is appropriate for you.

In the initial install you have to mount a root partition.  This should
be
an ext2 partition.  From your previous message I see that you have
already
partitioned your hard drives and such.  So now I suggest that you load
the
modules for the printer port, serial ports and other hardware that is on
your
system.  This could be ethernet drivers, scsi drivers, file system
support,
and etc.  For instance, to read the cdrom you have to load the iso9660
fs
module.  To make the serial mouse work, you have to load the serial
drivers.

All of this stuff is compiled as modules on the boot disks to allow any
system
configuration to be able to load.

After you have loaded the modules, and mounted the root file system,
then
proceed with loading the base system from either the base system disks,
NFS,
or the CDROM.  Personally, I do not suggest loading a base system by
ftp.  This
may cause headaches if in the middle of a download something happens.
For the
system to operate you need the minimum of a base system.  From there you
can
pick and choose what you want to load on your system.

I hope that this helps :-)
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037