ALSA

Someone should package ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
http://alsa.jcu.cz/

I have just been fiddling with it and it seems to be substantially better
than oss-free in the kernel. There is a library and utility package that
is independent of the compiled driver module, and it is possible that the
driver can be compiled to be relatively indepedent of the kernel version.

Given the number of 'why is my sound not working?' questions we see on the
irc channel this is problably a very good idea.

Thanks,
Jason