Re: Debian Re-organization proposals (was: Re: so what?)

On 3 Jun 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Philip" == Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
>
>  Philip> No, because democracy is inefficient in our case.
>
> 	Inefficient or not, if it is the only thing that works ...

As Philip and others have pointed out, that is as feable an argument as
has ever been made. I simply doesn't "work for Debian".

If you look at the percentage of the list traffic taken up with the "How
Shall We Organize Orselves" type threads, as compared with the percentage
of "What do we need to DO to GET HAMM OUT THE DOOR?" (and YES there is a
need to yell about this), and you will see that we are currently "wasting"
large quantities of Debian Bandwidth doing "pure politics" and little
else.

We must recognise two things:

	1. Debian functions as a "Goal Oriented Anarchy".
		(Bruce called it "Herding Cats")

	2. The only reason it is functional is that all the cats have the
	   same goals (for the most part).

The best way to achieve goals in this environment is to discuss the goals,
not the best way to get everyone to work toward them. If the goals are
well thought out (read well discussed) we must rely on everyone doing
their part toward those goals. Whenever we divert our attention from
these tasks we loose ground.

Waiting is,

Dwarf