Re: On adding size info to Packages files [very long]

>>"Brederlow" == Brederlow  <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

 Brederlow> The size file should be generated by the server. Here are
 Brederlow> the reasons:

	I am (perhaps unnecessarily) worried about time requirements

 Brederlow> 1. The upload should be unpacked to check if the gz is not
 Brederlow>    corrupted. (Far to often some Package is broken)

	This would be a lintian check. It is better done on the
 maintainer machine.

 Brederlow> 2. The du indexes should be gathered and pipe into one file to gain
 Brederlow>    far better compression.

	They shall be, for the Sizes.gz files (analogous to Packages.gz
 file). The reason to have them in a separate dir is that if one
 package changes, it is easier to replace a sizes file, zcat all sizes
 files into a big one, re-gzip that, and get a new Sizes.gz file.

 Brederlow> 3. Maintainer will forget to include a du index or have different
 Brederlow>    block sizes.

	This can be made policy and a lintian check. We have to trust
 the maintainers a trifle ;-)

 Brederlow> The Server should hold a unpacked Version of each Package's du index
 Brederlow> and after processing all uploads it should combine and pack them.

	Quite so.

 Knowing that one is dear to oneself, one should guard oneself
 well. For one out of the three watches of the night a wise man should
 keep watch. 157