Re: Username length inconsistencies.

On Sun, May 31, 1998 at 09:04:01PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I know that this is a bit of a side issue, but what are the consequences
> of giving root a different user name? I have done it in test installs and
> "frog" was able to log in with root priviledge, but I haven't held onto
> such a system long enough to see what might break.

Nothing of consiquence.  I played with that a little.  Root-priv accounts
can't logon where root isn't allowed, not just the name root.  In fact, my
/etc/passwd's first two lines:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
sash:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sash

This works just fine.  I also saw a linux system with root being "god" (how
unoriginal) and it ran fine.