Re: Linuxconf

--On Sat, May 30, 1998 7:02 pm +0000 "Rev. Joseph Carter"
<knghtbrd@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 09:13:01AM -0500, John Goerzen Linux Expo Laptop
wrote:
>> > I hope to get a closer look at linuxconf soon.  Based on what I have
>> > read, I have some preconceptions of what it does and want to see if
>> > they are accurate or not.
>>
>> What really got me impressed was that it does not use its own database --
>> it groks the REAL config files for each program.  This, I think,
>> eliminates the largest problem from other similar types of systems.
>
> Yes, that's a Very Good Thing.

FWIW, last time I thought about this problem, I did come up with a solution.

If we were to move to a database-based configuration set-up (which is
probably a Good Thing), then we could easily make it backward compatible by
creating an etcfs filesystem, mounted as /psuedoetc or some such,
(conceptually a bit like /proc) which has drivers which make it appear to
contain config files of the format programs expect to read - except that
they are dynamically generated from the underlying database, and don't
really exist.

Potential advantages of this system are the ability to have linked tables in
the database, so that you only have to update one item, your FQDN, and you
can expect your exim.conf, your apache/httpd.conf and your hosts file all to
stay in sync.

But, moving to such a 'registry' system could be biting off a big mouthful -
it would certainly need some dedicated and skilled programmers to get it off
the ground.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |