Re: musings on "the release thing"

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 02:35:30AM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19980529083228.A7451@molec3.dfis.ull.es> you wrote:
>
> : IMHO, that method would be easier to follow if we divide "main" in "core"
> : and "non-core".
>
> So, how does that differ from the current system?

Talking about testing, it doesn't! It just "officializes" the current
status, identifies properly both package sets and helps coordinating
things and defining different rules for each set (IMO).

Currently the "priorities" thing doesn't work as well as the
"distribution/section" one, We still have "required" packages that depend
on "optional" packages. We don't have any "main" package that depend on a
"contrib" or "non-free" one. Also, by looking at our FTP archive or
Official CDs there's no way to tell which priorities a package have.

OTOH, I don't care much about the "name" or method we use to separate
both sets, as long as that separation is clear for Debian developers,
Debian users (aka "probable proto-developers") and those wanting to use
Debian as a "base distribution", and as long as we can define a different
testing/release procedure for each set.

> But even this is just a testing optimization thing.  To do a 'stable release',
> the "release team" would still want/need to determine which packages from the
> set of all available packages should be included in the release, and which
> version of each package to be released should be included.

As I said, there are different goals we must fulfill when working with
each set. The "core" set _must_ work (release critical bugs in the core
set means no release can be done) so our developing and testing must be
focused primarily on that set. The "non-core" set is a secondary target.
If something doesn't work it is removed from the "frozen" distribution
and moved to the "unstable" one. The "core" set is not broken by such a
removal. (IIRC, our "main" distribution had several problems last "freeze
date" because of a similar cleanup). By having each set in a different
subdirectory tree we help isolating problems.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es