Re: How to reratify the DFSG ?

Rev. Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> wrote:
> It could be argued the GPL discriminates against people writing
> programs for Qt. In fact, RMS argues that it does. Clearly he is
> discriminating against both KDE in his current interpretation which is
> a turnaround from the things he was saying before that about netscape.

That's really reaching.  There is no language in the GPL which discriminates
against people writing programs for Qt.  People writing programs for
Qt are perfectly free to use (and redistribute) GPL'd programs.

> The particular example was that GPL additions for non-GPL code
> (Mozilla) could be written in seperate files and later compiled/linked
> in. However, saying that KDE cannot legally use the GPL because it
> links Qt is clearly discrimination--whether it's on the part of the
> license or RMS is something I cannot say for sure.

I think you're repeating rumor. Qt's license prohibits certain kinds of
distribution, GPL requires that those forms of distribution be legal. If
you can't satisfy the terms of the license you can't redistribute.

--
Raul