Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> We have often good backwards compatibility, so that it doesn't matter
> if our stable distribution is a mixture of a.out and ELF or libc5 and
> libc6.

Absolutely.

If we go back and look at the discussion at the beginning of hamm,
there was this idea that we had to go all the way to libc6 in one
jump "to pressure developers into migrating to libc6".

I suspect that if we'd have focussed on a libc6 development environment
that run under libc5, and built up from there, that we'd have gotten
a fully libc6 release sooner.

--
Raul