Definition of deb/dsc files (was Re: New APT version)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 	Here follows a checkdu script that can be used for this. This
>  needs the output of a du -S (not the old helper script output,
>  that was suboptimal, since there the data format was designed
>  before the application)
>
> 	This works quite well, as it looks at what df says, and parses
>  that, instead of relying on hueristics.
>
> 	All we need now is policy asking packages to include a Sizes
>  file in the DEBIAN subdir, and then arrange apt to run something like
>  this script.
>
> 	Mind you, I can do better with more time spent on this ;-)
>  this is currently a pretty minimalist class.
>
> 	manoj

How exactly are deb and dsc files defined? Would some additional
information make a deb file incompatible with older Versions and
incorrect?

Or does evrything additional get ignored?

What would happen if say

Foobar: foo bar

were added to the package information. Would it give an error or would
it be ignored?

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn