Re: Corrupted wtmp file under 'frozen'

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:

> In article <[🔎] 874sycaw18.fsf@os.inf.tu-dresden.de>,
> Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> >Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> writes:
> >Here all entries but the wu-ftpd-academ-generated are shown
> >corrupted. Wild guess: wu-ftpd-academ might write old-style entries,
>
> No, then you would not see them.
>
> >last detects this and switches back to old-style mode, and all other
> >entries will be displayed corrupted.
>
> Nope, last is not _that_ intelligent. It can display old-style entries
> but you have to give it a special option (-o).
>
> Perhaps using -o you can find out what app writes the old-style entries.
> To narrow down your search: it must be a libc5-application that either runs
> as root from inetd or inittab, or is setuid.

Thanks, I think I found it: I had a not-up-to-date ssh (1.2.22-1) that
used libc5. Looks like ssh wrote wtmp without the libc-provided
functions. The computer definitely was rebooted after the libc6
upgrade, it even crashed several times ...

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
http://www.sax.de/~sr1/