Re: Removal of Packages from Hamm (!)

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 06:12:46PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:
>
> > So, the phrase in question is:
> >
> > > Versions 2.2pre8 and above are copyright (c) 1992-1996 matthew
> > > green.  Any modifications to this code may be redistributed with
> > > this copyright attached.
>
> Eh?  No, it's not.  Try:
>
> | IRC II is copyright (c) 1990 by Michael Sandrof.  You have the
> | right to copy, compile, and maintain this software.  You also
> | have the right to make modifcations to this code for local use
>                          (sic)
> | only.
>
> That fails #3.

Ok, let's look at the full license.

--------
Copyright:

IRC II is copyright (c) 1990 by Michael Sandrof.  You have the
right to copy, compile, and maintain this software.  You also
have the right to make modifcations to this code for local use
only.

Version 2.1.1 to 2.2pre7 are Copyright 1991, 1992 Troy Rollo.

Versions 2.2pre8 and above are copyright (c) 1992-1996
matthew green.  Any modifications to this code may be
redistributed with this copyright attached.
--------

My understanding is that we are only distributing "versions 2.2pre8
and above" and that goes for all the derivatives as well.  So, doesn't
this supercede the first part?  This is de facto free software.  It
has been such for the past 3 or 4 years...  Doesn't this establish
some kind of precedent?

In any case, doesnt the FSF or someone have a real lawyer that could
comment on some of these licenses?  None of us here, to my knowledge,
are lawyers and therefore are not really qualified to pass final
judgement, even if some of us do enjoy a good debate;-)

Thanks,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org