Re: Proposal and call for participation, Linux Standard Base Project

At 08:40 PM 5/20/98 -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>  Shaya>  The only problem is, debian is way too big.  In order to make a
>  Shaya> real base, it has to be developed from the start to only be a base.
>  Shaya> i.e. include all the important utilities, and provide a policy for
>  Shaya> others to follow, but not be a full fledged dist.
>
>Huh ?
>
>I fail to see why all of that cannot be accomplished using 'essential' and
>'required' packaged.
>
>As it has been said before: there are reason why this might be done within
>Debian. We already _are_ the Open Forum which Bruce tries to create. And we
>have a proven track record. And a few missed deadlines ;-)
>
>I'd be in favour of (re-)defining a Debian 'core', doing it _really_ well,
>and offering it to the rest of the world.

As I said, it's too late for that, to be accepted as a 'core', you have to
be developed from the ground up to be a 'core' and only a 'core'.  Debian
has too much baggage to be a core right now, even to redo the 'core', I
don't think would work because most people have preconceptions of what
debian is.

Shaya