Re: New APT version

On 20 May 1998, Brederlow wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> writes:
>
> > [ debate of autoup or apt for the bo->hamm upgrade ]
> > [ my solution, keep autoup with a tarball of the necessary packages,
> >   and use apt as the recommended solution ]
> >
> > Does anyone have any problems with this?
>
> Does autoup work on m68k, sparc, powerpc, ... ?

Is this a reason not to keep apt?

If so, I fail to see why.  We have a perfectly good alternative that works
for some people, so I think it should be made available.  If you would
like, specify that it's an i386 specific solution.  As for official
support, these platforms didn't have a stable bo released for them.  If
they are running a libc5 hamm that you mentioned, then they are running an
unstable system.

If not, and you were just asking an honest question, then I don't know the
answer.  I only follow x86.  I don't know if the testing group even has
the resources to try it (we are happy to get an x86 laptop).

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 596-5550                      --Linus Torvalds