Re: Proposal: Automatic query servicing for dpkg installation scripts

Hi,

	This is currently being discussed on debian-policy. Ian has
 made (IMHO) an excellent list of requirements for a tool to
 enable us to do this:

Ian> Yes, we do need something like this.

Ian> Properties that it needs to have include, in no particular order:

Ian> 1. Questions may need to be `independent' of any particular package.

Ian> 2. Only a particular package can determine which questions need to be
Ian> asked in what order; in particular, following questions can depend on
Ian> the previous ones.  This means that we can't specify the questions in
Ian> advance in a file.  Instead, we have to put the information in
Ian> command-line arguments to the query program.

Ian> 3. Questions should have a `name' that is textual (not numeric), and
Ian> is separate from the prompt string.  Given 1. the name should probably
Ian> have a hierarchical structure.  Given 2. there needs to be a way to
Ian> put arbitrary `parameters' into the `name'.

Ian> 4. There should be a way to specify how `important' it is that a
Ian> question be asked, and an environment variable or something to specify
Ian> how willing we are to prompt, so that we can tune the level of
Ian> prompting.

Ian> 5. The interface should be suitable for changing the UI later (eg,
Ian> plain-text, fullscreen text, X or whatever).

Ian> 6. The database format used to cache answers should be editable by
Ian> humans.

Ian> 7. The query program should be the same as the retrieve-question
Ian> program, so that the database of previous questions acts as a cache
Ian> for the user.

Ian> 8. If the query program cannot prompt but the arguments say it needs
Ian> to then it should indicate this with a nonzero exit status, which will
Ian> (hopefully) cause the script to bomb out.

Ian> 9. Valid responses should be specified by regexp (preferably a
Ian> reasonably fully-featured regexp like a Perl one) not a glob.

Ian> 10. Metacharacters in prompts and data should work completely
Ian> correctly.

Ian> Ian.

	manoj
--
 It is the curse of talent that, although it labors with greater
 steadiness and perseverance than genius, it does not reach its goal,