non maintainer upload of dpkg-scriptlibs (dpkg-perl & dpkg-python)

I wanted to fix bugs in the python part of dpkg-scriptlibs. But it
seems to be easy to fix the perl part as well ... One question:

Gregor Schwarz pointed out in http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/14/14927.html:

According to the discussion around Nov 23-25, 1997, on debian-devel,
dpkg-perl may be tagged `Essential: Yes'. In addition, it should probably
get `Priority: Required'.
With all this, packages can use dpkg-perl (even in their postinst/preinst)
scripts, without having to depend on it.
Feel free to contact me, if you have any questions.

Is it ok, if I change this to Essential: Yes and Priority: Required?
for the dpkg-perl package?

Thanks, Matthias