Re: Purging database packages

Raul Miller wrote:
  >>   >I would like to see a way to preemptively indicate that the
  >>   >data should not be deleted. In a busy environment with several
  >>   >sysadmins, you want to be able to make such decisions ahead of
  >>   >time.
  >
  >Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
  >> This seems a good idea, but it implies a whole new utility whose job
  >> is to service interactive requests from dpkg scripts.
  >
  >Does it?
  >
  >I thought it only implied one bit of configuration information somewhere
  >under /etc/.

Yes, but this is a particular case of the general problem of interactive
installation scripts.  Furthermore, this particular case is one that is a
bit extreme: on installing a database package, you decide what you will
do with as yet non-existent data in the event that you one day decide to
purge the package.  If I don't ask the question at installation time, how
is this busy sysadmin to know, or at least, remember, that this particular
package contains a utility to preset the answer to the question that will
in any case be asked by the postrm script?  If all packages use a similar
mechanism, he at least has a chance...

     "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear
      heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the
      things which God hath prepared for them that love
      him."      I Corinthians 2:9