Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

In article <[🔎] oayaw0rkzt.fsf@burrito.fake>,
Adam P. Harris <apharris@burrito.onshore.com> wrote:
>Miquel, having a magical, different meaning of SXX scripts for run
>levels 0 and 6 is not just being unclean, it's making up a new level
>of uncleanness a rather antiquated and creaky but generally
>well-respected and working system (the SysV Init scheme).

Yes, well, but what do you expect me to do about it then? It has been like
this for quite some time and I have proposed it first on debian-devel.
Nobody rejected the idea then.

>Why not just add a third digit?  Scripts should be run in ASCII order.
>I realize that right now you'd have to modify /etc/init.d/rc to deal
>with arbitrary runlevel specifiers and possibly also other scripts
>(update-rc.d) would have to be hacked.

Yes, and at that time I tried to get changes into dpkg but it just didn't
work. Finally I did a non-maintainer upload of dpkg, but some things are
*very* hard to change.

>Still, the alternate meaning for 'S[0-9][0-9]$suffix' in run levels 6
>and 0 seems very confusing.  If you really did have to add a new
>letter for these run levels, why not a letter not already used, like
>'L'?

That's just as ugly IMHO

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.