Re: Perl packages, CPAN, locally installed .pm files

"Jules Bean" <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> 2) A new version of a package might install a newer version of the modules
> than that installed by hand by the user.  In the present system this will
> not, in fact, cause a problem - but if we switch the directory ordering, as
> I (and Deebugger on #debian is inclined to agree with me) suspect we
> should, we will then hit this problem.

Be careful here.  Many sites have laxer permissions on /usr/local, and
so changing the path order to look there first may have severe
security implications for sites which designed their policy based on
the old order.  Not being a security expert, I'll leave this to others
to evaluate.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>