Re: Perl packages, CPAN, locally installed .pm files

--On Thu, May 14, 1998 8:12 pm -0400 "Raul Miller" <rdm@test.legislate.com>
wrote:

> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> 3) dpkg could be taught about CPAN (ouch...)
>
> CPAN could be taught about dpkg.

I did consider this.

> First draft: make something that will take a list of existing files,
> create a .deb from them, then re-install the package (to achievefor the
> package database entries).

The problem is that CPAN has no real concept of a 'package'.  Different
downloadable units will contain  different sets of modules, and these sets
are by no means disjoint.

> Second draft: take cpan and hack it up so that it installs via dpkg.

This means creating a dpkg 'package' for what - every module?  Every file?
How are they named?  Do they show up on dselect?

> Third draft: abstract the install mechanism so that it can fall back to
> install or cp if dpkg isn't around, and work with the CPAN folks to
> make this a standard part of CPAN.
>
> Fourth through sevnth drafts: deal with all the diferences in abstraction
> between CPAN's release cycles and Debian's.

And that's not easy.

And do we wish this to become a precedent?  If every CPAN module is also a
dpkg package, is every GIMP plug?  every enlightenment theme?

Maybe we do, in an ideal world.  But dselect is unwieldy enough as it is, so
we need some better way of separating and masking 'uninteresting' sections.

Certainly you're looking to the future, Raul.  I'm looking to something I
can get working this month..

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |