Re: Port listening conflicts

On May 16, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>    My suggestion: since NAS has port 8000 first, change junkbuster to
>    something else.
>
>    In the long run, however, we ought to have some way to prevent
>    problems like this in the future.
>
> Doesn't our netbase maintainer assign port numbers to nonstandard
> services?

It seems that both NAS and junkbuster don't need an entry in
/etc/services (they use the port number directly) so it's
probably not my job to assign this number :-).

I don't know much about NAS but if port 8000 is a "well known" port
for NAS and other programs rely on that port number it should probably
use it. Otherwise it might be better to let junkbuster use this port
number because numbers like 80, 8080 or 8000 are often used for web
(proxy) services.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> <tobias@debian.org> <tobias@linux.de>
PGP ID EFAA400D, fingerprint = 06 89 EB 2E 01 7C B4 02  04 62 89 6C 2F DD F1 3C