Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

In article <[🔎] 19980516191843.K5822@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE>,
Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.north.de> wrote:
>> Miquel van Smoorenborg states
                      ^
I tried to keep it a secret but you have discovered it. Yes my secret
mission is to convert Debian to an O/S that can be run on the Cube.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

>> - Sxx scripts in runlevels 0 and 6 should be executed with a "stop"
>>   argument instead of "start" (!)

Not should, _are_. This is because normally in /etc/rc{0,6}.d there are
no Sxx scripts at all. However some of the methods started in /etc/rcS.d
need to be stopped just before reboot. Because most of the levels in
Kxx were already taken, I decided to use Sxx for this as it was unused -
no use in starting anything in runlevel 0 or 6 just before halt or reboot..

>>=20
>> The regular boot/shutdown method is:
>>=20
>>  . Loop over Knn scripts in normal order
>>    - Call the scripts with an argument "stop"
>>=20
>>  . Loop over Snn scripts in normal order
>>    - Call the scripts with an argument "start"
>>=20
>> Why is this different for the reboot (6) and halt (0) runlevel?

Because other wise the Sxx scripts started in level 0 or 6 should test
the runlevel to find out if a service should be stopped or started. Now
they can just look at $1 as usual.

>Additionally, which program calls /etc/init.d/reboot, /etc/init.d/halt
>and /etc/init.d/single?

The links in /etc/rc{0,1,6}.d

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.