Re: upstreams maintainer conflict, was: wget: remove outdated manual page

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Zed Pobre wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Nicolas Lichtmaier wrote:
>
> > Here at Debian we like manpages. We decided to provide a manpage with every
>
>     However, on this I have to side with Mr. Niksic.  Although the
> software is GPL and he has no right to force you to do anything
> (apparantly much to his chagrin), he is asking for something that isn't
> unreasonable:  that you not include information with the package that is
> in any way shape or form outdated.  If this means that you have to link

Actually I believe he is being completely unreasonable by asking for
something written from scratch. He is certainly entitled to press for the
correct authorship information though.

What if ...

"RMS complained that the improvement you made to gcc, although useful, he
didn't like. And further he wanted you to write the improved  files from
scratch and then improve them - since it will be your own work and not
his"

I'd be terribly disappointed in any author claiming to know/understand the
GNU GPL since this action undermines it.

> temporarily to Undocumented while you finish writing your own manpage
> from scratch as he requests, then so be it.  It would take me about 10
> minutes to write a manpage based upon the wget -h output and add in a
> pointer to the info system.  What do we lose?

In this specific instance, nothing. But if every author of a GNU GPL'd
program pulls the same stunt?

> A much larger but
> possibly inaccurate manpage.  What do we gain?  Faith in the document's
> accuracy, and the good will of an upstream developer.

> make your decision if I filed a bug against wget now complaining about
> that very fact?

That sounds like you are using the bug system for terriorism...

  From the way I understand the message, he has already
> pointed to a few problems:
>     4) It's not clearly marked as being your words.
>
>     The official documentation for this program as written by the
> upstream author is part of the Info system (try "info wget" and "man
> info" in place of "man wget").  This document was written by <email> for
> the Debian distribution for users that prefer the manpage interface to
> the info interface.  The upstream author disclaims all responsibility
> for this manpage.

How about:

"Documentation supplied by Wget is part of the Info system. This manual
page was written for the Debian distribution. Please see the credits
section for authorsip information"

"CREDITS:
  Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> wrote the inital draft of this man page.
I, Nicol\xe1s Lichtmaier <nick@feedback.net.ar> have made some improvments
to it. If notice any erros of fact or ommission, please inform me and not
Hrvoje - he does not wish to be bothered by things pertaining to my
modifications"

Anand.

- --
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are
  forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how
  holy the motives' -- Robert A Heinlein, "If this goes on --"